- MS Spring Fling
- Ride of Silence
- MSFITS Ice Cream Ride
- Makin Room for Turkey Ride
- Cycling Routes
- Cycling Basics and Tips
- About Us
- MS Resources
- Contact Us
RIDE OF SILENCE - RTP - MAY 21, 2014- 7:00 p.m.
LET THE SILENCE ROAR
TEAM MSFITS is sponsoring the 8th Ride of Silence RTP.
This 5-mile police-escorted ride will start and finish at Research Triangle Park Headquarters located at 12 Davis Drive, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709.
On May 21, 2014 at 7:00 PM, the Ride of Silence will begin in North America and roll across the globe. Cyclists will take to the roads in a silent procession to honor cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road with motorists, the motoring public often isn't aware of these rights, and sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves.
The mission of the Ride of Silence is to reduce the carnage taking plae on our roads and to have motorists realize their legal obligation to share the road in mutual harmony with the cycliss' legal right to use the roads. It is also to promote safe cycling and remind cyclists that while they have the right to use the roads, they also have the obligation to use them responsibly and obey all traffic rules and regulations.
The Ride of Silence is a free ride that asks its cyclists to ride no faster than 12 mph, wear helmets, follow the rules of the road and remain silent during the ride. There are no sponsors and no registration fees. The ride, which is held during National Bike Month, aims to raise the awareness of motorists, police and city officials that cyclists have a legal right to the public roadways. The ride is also a chance to show respect for and honor the lives of those who have been killed or injured.
For more information on the Ride of Silence, please visit the National Web site at: www.rideofsilence.org.
ONE DAY -- ONE TIME -- ONE RIDE
LET THE SILENCE ROAR
2011 Ride of Silence Summary - From ROS National Site
- 319 listed locations world wide. A record total!
(322 actually, 3 unlisted sites in S. America reported in late)
- All 50 U.S.A States + the District of Columbia: 2nd straight year, 3rd year for all 50 states
- 28 Canadian locations: twice as many as 2010!
- 24 countries: down from a high of 26 in 2010 but 4 new countries listed!
- All 7 continents: 2nd straight year, 3rd year total. (how.... in Antarctica?? Thanks to the Palmer Station for having a Ride (Spin) for Silence, taking turns on an indoor stationary bike)
- 47%: number of locations that posted a follow up ride report (down from 2009 & 2010)
Still....0 words spoken, A million powerful memories.